The Forth Clan

to chronicle the day-to-day lives of the Forths

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Up a Rung

We all have certain actors who annoy us. Those about whom there may not be rhyme or reason, yet they bother us nonetheless and we tend to avoid their movies. For me it’s Toby McGuire and Elijah Wood (I got over it for LOTR).

There’s another, more fluid category of actor who annoys me, though. And it has to do with the attitude. The “I’m so great and I know it.” The constant barrage of roles that say, “I’m fab, I’m powerful, and yes, I am People’s ‘Sexiest Person Alive’ for seven years running. Everyone loves me for good reason.” And for this I’m thinking specifically of Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Collin Farrel. Big dogs who are portrayed to walk like they have ten-ton stones. Jason Statham may be moving into this category, but he’s not there yet.

The reason I call this a fluid category, however, is that they can and have redeemed themselves by playing roles that are goofy, quirky, insecure, and/or totally out of the blue. Ones you don’t exactly expect from the big blockbuster boys. Where they laugh at themselves and suspend being taken so seriously.

Collin Farrel – In Bruges (what started this whole train of thought…..)
Brad Pitt – True Romance, The Mexican, Snatch, Ocean’s Whatever-Number (he’s done well)
Tom Cruise – Tropic Thunder (my current all-time favorite role of his)

What movies have changed your opinions on certain actors?



Disclaimer: If you haven’t seen these movies already but are going to because I put them up here, watch them at your own risk. Just because these guys play goofy or off-the-wall characters in my estimation, doesn’t mean the movies are goofy or light-hearted.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Johanna at The Baker Twins said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger TT said…

    I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise, and I didn't like Tropic Thunder very much, but I really liked Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder, if that makes sense! To me, his character was the highlight of that movie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home