My Ideal Mom-Mobile
Both Michael and I drive cars that are 1998 models. In the past couple months we dropped a chunk of change for maintenance, upkeep, and repair. Suffice it to say that we are keeping in the back of our minds the very real prospect of having to replace at least one of the vehicles (hopefully not both at the same time!) in the next several years. Since Michael drives a Honda Accord, and they are fabulous cars that keep much of their value, we’re thinking I’m up to get the first new car. And since we have 2 car seats in our future, we’re thinking in terms of a slightly larger vehicle than my little Saturn, but still not quite an SUV. The Mom-mobile.
My all-time ideal mom car: a late 80’s, early 90’s model Jeep Wagoneer. Practical for gas mileage, age maintenance and NOT being an SUV? No. But I love them. They just scream of an open, minimalistic interior, a large back bench seat, tons of space, throw the kids and the crap in the car, bump around, don’t have to be graceful vehicle. Something about that makes me breath happy.
I’m also thinking about the Honda Element, even though I think they look mildly atrocious and very closely resemble a mail truck. Again, there’s something about the open interior that I dig. And the ones that I have been up close to have a completely plastic interior, so in the event of a huge mess you pull the seats out and hose out the car. That quirk makes me smile. If we do go in this direction and I wind up with a car that I already think is mildly obnoxious, I’d have to go all the way and get it in the burnt orange color. But I do really like the charcoal/black, too.
And recently I’ve been noticing the Saturn Vue. My little Saturn has been so good to me that I would love owning another one. Not a bad looking vehicle, I think, but the thing with these smaller, half-SUVs is that they really don’t have much more space than any regular 4-door sedan, so you might as well go for a regular 4-door sedan.
I had also been eyeballing the Outback; we have friends who highly recommend their Vibe (very cool); and Michael’s mom recently got a Honda CR-V, which is nice and roomy and not too bad on the gas mileage. We were even considering a Magnum, which I hated until Michael voiced my exact thought: man’s station wagon. Eeew. Then I liked them.
Who knows. Lots of these are pretty much SUVs anyway. We’ll probably wind up with something I hadn’t even thought of. And that is (keep your fingers crossed) still a couple years down the road…..
My all-time ideal mom car: a late 80’s, early 90’s model Jeep Wagoneer. Practical for gas mileage, age maintenance and NOT being an SUV? No. But I love them. They just scream of an open, minimalistic interior, a large back bench seat, tons of space, throw the kids and the crap in the car, bump around, don’t have to be graceful vehicle. Something about that makes me breath happy.
I’m also thinking about the Honda Element, even though I think they look mildly atrocious and very closely resemble a mail truck. Again, there’s something about the open interior that I dig. And the ones that I have been up close to have a completely plastic interior, so in the event of a huge mess you pull the seats out and hose out the car. That quirk makes me smile. If we do go in this direction and I wind up with a car that I already think is mildly obnoxious, I’d have to go all the way and get it in the burnt orange color. But I do really like the charcoal/black, too.
And recently I’ve been noticing the Saturn Vue. My little Saturn has been so good to me that I would love owning another one. Not a bad looking vehicle, I think, but the thing with these smaller, half-SUVs is that they really don’t have much more space than any regular 4-door sedan, so you might as well go for a regular 4-door sedan.
I had also been eyeballing the Outback; we have friends who highly recommend their Vibe (very cool); and Michael’s mom recently got a Honda CR-V, which is nice and roomy and not too bad on the gas mileage. We were even considering a Magnum, which I hated until Michael voiced my exact thought: man’s station wagon. Eeew. Then I liked them.
Who knows. Lots of these are pretty much SUVs anyway. We’ll probably wind up with something I hadn’t even thought of. And that is (keep your fingers crossed) still a couple years down the road…..

2 Comments:
At 8:05 AM,
Anonymous said…
Interesting decisions. Most of my friends who join the Two Car Seat Club end up with three-row vehicles of some sort, especially if they're in the habit of bringing a grandparent or somebody else along ever.
The people that make SUVs a political or moral issue miss (possibly willfully) that our risk-averse culture has created the need for them. Not that I think we should do away with car seats, but I do wax nostalgic for the days when all the kids would pile in the back of a big sedan or station wagon.
Somebody should write a song about it. Oh, wait, somebody did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNmnzwGT4Ic
At 10:09 AM,
Michael and Tiffany said…
I remember the wood side-panel, vinyl interior, metal buckles, and reversed back seat of the station wagon my parents had.... Ah, the days.
I have nothing against SUVs. I just don't want to jump from my little 4 door to monster suburban. Something in between sizes is more what we would be looking for. Besides that, if I'm going to pay to fill up a 40 gallon tank and get not-so-great gas mileage for my trouble, I want the bed of a truck attached to the whole deal. Probably awfully Texan of me... :o)
Post a Comment
<< Home