The Forth Clan

to chronicle the day-to-day lives of the Forths

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Deuce

So for those whom the news hasn’t reached yet, baby number two, Talya, is due February 2nd. We are pregnant again!

And I will say that again because I’ve always found this an oddity – we are pregnant. I’ve never quite understood why people are so picky about "I" instead of "we," about specifying who in the marriage is having the baby. I guess I’ve never really seen it as a murky issue.

I don’t have to tell you that Michael is not carrying the child. He’s not the one who has to endure weird body changes and labor. He’s not the human pin-cushion for the next couple months. And no one will be confused on that point. Ever. No one is denying all the cool and cruddy things I have to go through because no one can. So why the almost insecure need to specify that I am pregnant? Not we, ME!

I much prefer to include Michael in this process, to encourage his complete involvement and participation in this, not only because she is his sweet little girl, too, but even selfishly because I sure as heck don’t want to be doing this all by myself. So accordingly I like my language to reflect that. How often do we consider the nuances of what we say and what that betrays about our underlying attitudes towards people and situations?

So, yes, we’re pregnant. We’re having a baby. Our family is growing.

The time of the deuce approacheth...

1 Comments:

  • At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First, congratulations (again).

    Now, putting on my barbarian grammarian two-horned helm, I don't think anybody is going to get confused when you say "we are pregnant" though of course in a way much more than technical it's obviously you. ;) My compromise on this is generally to say "they're expecting" where there's need to refer to both parents, and "she's pregnant" when the referent is most definitely the mother to be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home