She's Not Yet 2
I told this to a couple of friends and they showed the same reaction to it that I had, which soothed me a bit in that I’m not crazy for the reaction I had.
The other day when I dropped Camille at daycare, her teacher looked in her bag and said, “Her work is not in here.”
“What?”
“Her work is not in here.”
“What work?”
Ladies and gentlemen, my child is not yet 2 years old, and we’re already dealing with homework.
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.
No, really. Every Thursday or Friday she has a piece of paper stapled to her bag that shows pictures of things they’ve been talking to the kids about that week, and it gives suggestions on how to have a conversation with your child about these things. Then on the back of the page is a homework assignment dealing with something the page describes.
Markers and playdough – she got to color with markers in the homework space. That took all of 2 minutes. She then spent the next 15 minutes sliding the markers off the table and then putting them back on the table. First of all, I had to dig around to see if I actually had any markers because I didn't realize we were at that stage already, and secondly, I’m pretty sure the package on playdough says ages 3+.
Feet and shoes – we got to trace Camille’s foot on the paper. Yeah, like she actually stood on the paper long enough for me to do that. She's coming up on 2, remember? That means, "she who is contrarian."
Windows and doors – I got to draw what we saw outside the window and write a short description of each thing. ….I thought this was her homework….
Pretending and friends – I got draw and label stick figures of friends she plays with outside of school. Again beyond her motor coordination....
It really baffles me that I am now dealing with (aka doing) homework for a 21-month-old!
The other day when I dropped Camille at daycare, her teacher looked in her bag and said, “Her work is not in here.”
“What?”
“Her work is not in here.”
“What work?”
Ladies and gentlemen, my child is not yet 2 years old, and we’re already dealing with homework.
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.
No, really. Every Thursday or Friday she has a piece of paper stapled to her bag that shows pictures of things they’ve been talking to the kids about that week, and it gives suggestions on how to have a conversation with your child about these things. Then on the back of the page is a homework assignment dealing with something the page describes.
Markers and playdough – she got to color with markers in the homework space. That took all of 2 minutes. She then spent the next 15 minutes sliding the markers off the table and then putting them back on the table. First of all, I had to dig around to see if I actually had any markers because I didn't realize we were at that stage already, and secondly, I’m pretty sure the package on playdough says ages 3+.
Feet and shoes – we got to trace Camille’s foot on the paper. Yeah, like she actually stood on the paper long enough for me to do that. She's coming up on 2, remember? That means, "she who is contrarian."
Windows and doors – I got to draw what we saw outside the window and write a short description of each thing. ….I thought this was her homework….
Pretending and friends – I got draw and label stick figures of friends she plays with outside of school. Again beyond her motor coordination....
It really baffles me that I am now dealing with (aka doing) homework for a 21-month-old!

1 Comments:
At 1:46 PM,
Robert said…
It's really a government sponsored test to see if parents understand what a foot and a window is. This, in order to determine if they are capable of raising children. If not, the feds swoop in and take her away to safely be raised by the state. I sleep better at night knowing that there aren't too many unfit parents in our country.
Post a Comment
<< Home